Thursday, May 14, 2009

End of the road

Guys, can I be honest? My life is kind of a mess right now. A year after I finished my education, I'm still jobless and living at home with my mother. (There was a short stint working as a personal assistant to a pretty major artist, which would have actually been an amazing job if they'd had real work for me to do and weren't so passive-aggressively batshit crazy, but that's a story for another time...) I'm still toying with the idea of going to pastry school to live out that childhood dream of opening a bakery. I still want to go back to Paris at some point, although now I'm not so concerned with it happening rightthisminute.

You'll have to forgive the quality of this post. I finally decided to get back into blogging after a six-month hiatus, and I'm a little rusty. Everyone's been asking me if I've been doing any writing, and it hurts every time I have to say "no, not really" because a)I love writing and b)I fell like a lazy slob for not even being able to write a measly blog post every once in a while. So, here's a brief update on my life, for those who are keeping track (although seriously, why would you?):

- Weight loss never happened. That huge bitchy post about Lindora pretty much sums up my feelings on the situation. I definitely do need to lose weight, if only for health concerns, and it probably wouldn't hurt my mental health either. But I am done paying for shit, done berating myself, done with fad diets (I almost wrote 'fat' - HA!), done paying for a trainer who constantly pisses me off and usually makes me feel bad about myself through no fault of his own. I keep saying "I will do it, I will do it," but I never do it. And I'm not saying that this is the time, that this is different because I'm going to do it, because I'm not an idiot. I'm not going to set myself up for failure. So I'm going to take a tip from Kim over at the Kim Challenge and just try to make healthier decisions and integrate small changes to make a big difference. Hopefully this will last more than two weeks.

- I've discovered being a personal assistant is NOT for me. My employer was concerned that I was overqualified and that in a year, I'd get bored and leave. I told my friend (who helped me get the job), "trust me, if I get bored, it won't take me a year." A month and a half in, I started resenting having to drive an hour through downtown L.A. just to drive someone else's kids to school and do someone else's grocery shopping. So another few weeks in, I got sat down for "the talk." So now I'm back to being an unemployed Master of the French Language in Orange County.

- The friend who helped me get the job was more shocked that I'd been fired than I was. In our post-firing lunch, we decided we needed our own project, and that the project needed to be a bakery/cafe, and that we were serious about it. No, seriously. We've yet to get together for a business meeting, but soon enough we will and hopefully things will work out. So if I ever refer to L and "our place", our future awesome, award-winning, hugely-popular bakery/cafe will be what I'm talking about. Of course, for this to happen, one of us needs to go to business school, and one of us needs to go to pastry school. Or win the lottery. Or both.

Unfortunately, that's all I have for today. I'm going to move this over to a different blog because Toto, I don't think we're in Paris anymore.

No comments: