Thursday, October 4, 2007

Maladroit

Last night I went to a friend's boyfriend's place for what the French call a "party," celebrating the addition of one of the roommate's girlfriend to the apartment. I think it was actually the first time I hung out with a group of French people my age - no, wait, second time. I almost didn't go because I was tired, but mainly because I didn't want to have to walk home by myself at who knows what hour, even though I know my neighborhood is fine. I think it might have had more to do with changing metros at Place d'Italie, which I avoided anyways because I didn't want to have to go through winding tunnels and staircases by myself. I left with a friend, anyways, and the only trouble we had was a pair of guys outside the stop at Nation who kept saying "excusez moi, les filles, excusez moi, les filles... oh, elles ne speak pas French." I think I'm almost over the metro trepidation, especially since I'm not on line 13 anymore (i.e. sketchiest line ever).

The party was...awkward. It was Me, two other American girls, a Columbian girl, and a whole bunch of French people, one of which reminded me immediately of Napoleon. Everyone was really nice, it's just that it's hard to strike up conversation with people you don't know in a language you don't really know how to express yourself in. [Sidenote: in our Advanced Workshop in Contemporary French last week, the professor (teacher?) started arguing with us about how we're all francophones, and my main argument for why we were reluctant to think so was that we're not the same people in French as we are in English because we can't express ourselves the same way.] People asked the same general questions, about our previous experience in France, what we're going to do when we're done, etc. etc. We talked a little bit about Rugby - apparently France is going to lose on Saturday, but we're going to make a big deal about the game anyways. We didn't talk at all about politics - well, a teensy bit about communism, but I think after Sarkozy was elected, the French have been much more hesitant to verbally attack Americans for electing Bush, hence greatly reducing political conversation. (Although it's fairly safe to assume that students studying in France aren't really Bush supporters.)

Even though it was kind of weird, and I'm sure everyone there thought we were strange and antisocial, I think I'd like to do that again - hang out with French people, that is. It not only gives me something to do and makes me feel like a normal, social human being, but it also helps a lot with my French. I've spent far too much time holed up in my apartment, WITHOUT A TV or anything to do. I think it's high time I grow up and get a life. I will NOT be pinkslipped out of a group like I was two years ago. I refuse to let it happen again. This city is far too lively and the people far too sociable for me to let it pass by a second time. Mouffetard, here I come.

No comments: